Collaborative Research & Mentoring
Upon earning tenure in 2013, I decided that I would make a more deliberate effort to integrate my teaching and research. This resulted in several summer research assistants, and slowly evolved into collaborations. Once I caught the bug of co-authoring, I started to collaborate with junior scholars from other institutions when the opportunity presented itself. Here are some reflections on how to collaborate with junior scholars. Below is a list of resulting publications:
With Middlebury Undergraduates (marked with asterisks):
- Khalifa, K., Doble, G.*, and Millson, J. 2019. "Counterfactuals and Explanatory Pluralism." The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science.
- Doyle, Y.*, Egan, S.*, Graham, N. and Khalifa, K. 2019. "Non-Factive Understanding: A Statement and Defense." Journal for General Philosophy of Science.
- Khalifa, K. and Gadomski, M.* 2013. "Understanding as Explanatory Knowledge: The Case of Bjorken Scaling. " Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 44 (3): 384-392.
- DiMarco, M. and Khalifa, K. 2019. "Inquiry Tickets: Values, Pursuit, and Underdetermination." Philosophy of Science. (NB: DiMarco was a Middlebury undergraduate when we started this paper, but was a grad student at Pitt HPS by the time we submitted it.)
- Sullivan, E. and Khalifa, K. 2019. "Idealizations and Understanding: Much Ado About Nothing?" Australasian Journal of Philosophy.
- With J. Millson:
- 2020. "Explanatory Obligations." Episteme. (submitted while Millson was in his fifth year out of graduate school)
- 2020. "Questions, Perspectives, and Epistemic Value." In M. Massimi & A.-M. Cretu (Eds.), Knowledge from a human point of view. Dordrecht: Springer. (submitted while Millson was in his fifth year out of graduate school)
- 2019. "Counterfactuals and Explanatory Pluralism." The British Journal for the Philosophy of Science. (with G. Doble).
- 2018. "Inference, Explanation, and Asymmetry." Synthese. doi:10.1007/s11229-018-1791-y (with M. Risjord).
- 2018. Inferentialist Expressivism for Explanatory Vocabulary." In From Rules to Meanings: New Essays in Inferentialism , edited by Ondrej Beran, Vojtech Kolman, and Ladislav Koren, 155-178. London: Routledge (with M. Risjord).
- 2017. "Inference to the Best Explanation: Fundamentalism's Failures." In Best Explanations: New Essays on Inference to the Best Explanation , edited by K. McCain and T. Poston, 80-96. Oxford: Oxford University Press. (with M. Risjord).