Questions and Inquiry
My most recent work argues that greater attention to the role of questions in scientific inquiry has far-reaching epistemological implications. While my initial forays in this area focus primarily on questions' role in delimiting epistemic and non-epistemic value, I am currently developing accounts of scientific representation, idealization, theory structure, and rationality that make essential appeal to questions.
Articles and Book Chapters
- in progress. More work on questions and epistemic value. (with Jared Millson).
- under review. Paper on understanding, truth, and epistemic goals.
- under review. "Explanatory obligations." (with Jared Millson).
- forthcoming. "Questions, perspectives, and epistemic value." In Knowledge for a Human Point of View. edited by A. Cretu and M. Massimi. Dordrecht: Springer. (with Jared Millson).
- 2019. "Inquiry tickets: values, pursuit, and underdetermination." Philosophy of Science. doi: 10.1086/705446. (with Marina DiMarco).